More fishing line bins to reel in river wastePermalink Feb 19
A fishing line bin project will be expanded along the Swan and Canning riverbanks to help reduce the impact of discarded fishing line and tackle on dolphins, water birds and other animals.
- Recreational fishers using new bins along Swan and Canning rivers
- Reduced risk of fishing rubbish having an impact on river wildlife
- 8,788m of fishing line, 1,743 hooks and sinkers, 1,508 bait bags and 254 lures and tackle packets collected
Environment Minister Albert Jacob said the State Government would invest $20,000 to continue the Reel It In project that is expected to remove up to 20 kilometres of discarded fishing line from the rivers each year.
The Swan River Trust installed 25 dedicated fishing line bins at popular jetties, fishing platforms, traffic bridges and boat ramps as a trial during 2014. The initiative involved seven riverfront local governments, plus the Fremantle Port Authority and City of Cockburn.
“The fishing line bin project is a cost effective solution to a serious problem and has delivered significant benefits to the dolphins, birdlife and the community,” Mr Jacob said.
“The results show that recreational fishers have made excellent use of the bins during this trial and we are reducing the risk of rubbish impacting on wildlife.
“In total, more than 8,788 metres of fishing line, 1,743 hooks and sinkers, 1,508 bait bags and 254 items such as lures and tackle packets were collected throughout the year.”
The Minister said another 20 bins would be installed in 2015 and funds would be used to inform the community about the dangers of discarded fishing tackle, and to alert the public to the location of bins.
“Dolphins and waterbirds have been severely impacted by discarded fishing line and this project is a simple way of minimising the number of entanglements that animal rescuers are dealing with on a weekly basis,” he said.
The bins, emptied fortnightly, are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic.
- The project is delivered in partnership with Recfishwest, Native Animal Rescue and Keep Australia Beautiful Clean Marine
- In 2013-14, the Swan River Trust removed 2.65 tonnes of rubbish from the rivers